        From:   Mark Seaton [SMTP:maseaton@earthlink.net]
        Sent:   Tuesday, July 27, 1999 7:27 AM
        To:     bpcs-l@midrange.com
        Subject:        Subsystem Event Determination

        My client is on 6.1 mixed mode.

        I am interested in knowing how other clients get around the
limitations of
        the relationship between Subsystem Event Determination and Events.
Here
        are the criteria we are looking for:

        1. Single Database environment
        2. Single company due to company master, vendor master, etc.
        3. A separate ledger or a separate book for each facility.

        The problem exists in Subsystem Event Determination where the keys
are (1)
        program, (2) reason code, (3) company.  Since company is the same
that is
        not a key that we can use to get to a specific ledger/book.  If you
        consider the inventory post program you would have (1) the program
INV920
        and (2) a reason code such as "A 01".  This by itself does not give
you
        anyway to identify this transaction from one facility to the next.
The
        only option that I can see that BPCS provides is to create a
macro-able
        event.  If you macro in warehouse into Subsystem Event Determination
from
        ITH then you create an event equal to the warehouse code.  This is
ok if
        you only had one transaction effect code and or one reason code.
Since the
        reason code does not flow through to Event Setup all you have is the
event
        name and subsystem origin as keys in Event Setup.  Another option,
since we
        have configurable macros is to concatenate two fields together such
as
        warehouse and something else.  This does cut it either because you
        essentially need to have three fields concatenated together -
warehouse,
        transaction type, and reason code to make this work.  Unfortunately
you
        cannot create a configurable macro from a configurable macro.

        I have an idea through a trigger program on how to do this but if I
there
        is a way I can do this through vanilla BPCS that I am missing I
would like
        to know what it is.  Also if all else fails maybe they can be
convinced to
        be a single ledger, single book with security rules setup to prevent
their
        decentralized plants from booking transactions on the wrong
facility.

        P.S.  I didn't mention using separate reason codes for each
transaction in
        subsystem event determination because that is not a realistic
solution.

        Thanks for your help,
        Mark Seaton
        +---