  • Subject: Re: Antwort:Re: Performance solutions - more than one kind exist
  • From: Clare.Holtham@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 14:26:03 +0100

Hi Jos,
here are the answers to your questions - first of all, the reason codes etc
are listed in Appendix D (Query performance: Design guidelines and
monitoring) of the manual DB2 for AS/400 Database programming SC41-5701-02,
which you should be able to read and print from the IBM web site. For
example, T1 means 'no indexes exist'. Some of the field names in the DBMon
file are less than helpful though!
Secondly, you can monitor the whole BPCS environment ( in fact the whole
AS/400 which might include other software or multiple BPCS environments) by
running the DBMonitor as part of the Performance Monitor. There are 2 ways
of running the database monitor. One, which you know, is to use the command
STRDBMON and then you have to give it a file and a job to monitor. The
second (and aparently you can run both at the same time) is to start the
performance monitor (but not for more than 30 minutes please!), and enter
the usual parameters on the STRPFRMON screen such as 5 minute intervals,
elapsed time, and add the parameter Start Database Monitor *YES. If taking
the option via the Perf. Tools menu you might need to specify start the
monitor with a command. The output will be in file QAPMDBMON in library
QPFRDATA or whatever. You will get a new member in that file each time you
run it, so will need to change your query to access the latest member each
time you run it. This isn't so easy to do with SQL by the way!
Just one more caveat: you MUST get the PTF from IBM that stops the
DBMonitor crashing your BPCS jobs before you run it - it is SF51242 for
V4R2 and SF53723 for V4R3, and is too big to download.
Hope this helps,
Clare

+---