  • Subject: Re: SSA Layoff Plans
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:56:37 EDT

Folks,

Why didn't anyone call me on this?  I'm the moderator/administrator of
BPCS-L, not God.  In my haste to cover my (literally) 300 e-mails yesterday,
I obviously made a mistake here.  SSA isn't dropping AS/400 support anytime
soon, although some would claim that they already had ;-).  I still think
they (and IBM) are making a big mistake with their focus on NT -- look at
what that focus did to Baan and SAP -- but the AS/400 is safe...for now.

Through disagreement, we get to the truth.  Someone disagree next time some
idiot posts something like this ;-)!

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

In a message dated 6/28/99 11:12:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, I wrote:

> Dennis,
>
>  In a message dated 6/28/99 3:12:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>  DMunro@badgerminingcorp.com writes:
>
>  <<snip>>
>  > First, it is trying to get its existing installed base of Business
Planning
>  >  and Control System (BPCS), who mostly run on AS/400s, to upgrade to its
> new
>  >  Internet-enabled eBPCS suite, which runs on AS/400s and Hewlett-Packard
>  9000
>  >  Series UNIX servers. (BPCS support for IBM's AIX and Sun Microsystems'
>  >  Solaris UNIX variants was withdrawn earlier this year.)
>  <<snip>>
>
>  Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again -- what can you say about
>  company that's A**, backwards?  With the sales of every midrange platform
>  _EXCEPT_ the AS/400 in the tank, SSA decides to make HP -- which still
>  doesn't run most BPCS programs without conversion -- its platform of
choice.

>  Soon to be followed by Windows 2000, which will be available 2Q, 1901.
>  Didn't notice anything in the announcement specifically about the AS/400,
>  though.  I'm sure that my old client that just scrapped another ERP
solution
>  on their HP/9000 in favor of BPCS on the AS/400 is ecstatic...
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Dean Asmussen
>  Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
>  Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA