  • Subject: Re: Material Requirements Explosion - vs. SFC350
  • From: "Tim Armstrong" <tma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 17:36:22 -0500
  • Cc: "Nervous Wreck" <MacWheel99@xxxxxxx>

Al Macintyre (using Tim Armstrong e-mail address (at the office) ... lets
see if this works or bounces)

>We need to produce a weekly report listing ingredients required to produce
items
>for order fulfillment the following week.  There aren't a lot of
orders/items
>involved.  Our users find setting up a full MRP run to be time-comsuming
and
>overkill versus their needs.
>
>Items and quantities to be produced would be input.

Are you familiar with SFC350?
Enter Item & quantity & some other optional filters.

>Referencing the BOM, the
>process needs to account for ingredient quantity on-hand, committed and
on-order
>then calculate the variance to requirements.  This will allow the user to
>quickly review the listing and determine if purchasing is needed to meet
>production.

That is exactly what SFC350 does, on an item by item basis.

>Does anyone know of a quasi-quick and dirty way to address this?  What
approach
>would you use?

SFC350 Modification Ideas

Leave that program intact, copy software to a new program, whose output
would go to report rather than to screen,
and with switches from prompt selection criteria, you could elect to only
print items highlighted on the screen
(like SFC200 shortage report, except where SFC200 is sequenced by shop
order,
this thing is sequenced by item your need to order that is short within item
of customer requirements that makes it short),
and various other criteria like items coded as purchased items.

Instead of manually keying in your small number of orders/items, use some
ORD2* variant to feed in latest selection.

Since the same item can show up many different places in the BOM,
you will want to create interlocking arrays
one for item needed - matching one for quantity needed.

When the program hits an item that is needed - is it already in the item
array?
If not, increment element & put item & quantity side by side.
If already, then only add to the quantity on same item
When all done, you want to sort the item array, without messing up which
quantity is with which item.
There's other programming approaches.
You might want to use a work file indexed on item needed.

You may need some kind of work file to sum the consequences,
because SFC350 is only looking at one customer order scenario at a time.

There may be a sub-component in which you have enough on-hand to meet any
one customer requirement's production,
but not enough to meet all of them & this will be totally invisible on the
SFC350 logic which looks at one requirement at a time.

Likewise you need to sum those shortages.

Another game you might want to consider playing, is to create a dummy
end-item for purposes of this analysis.
Have as a child component of that item 100% of all items for which you have
customer orders.
Now run a shortage report.

Since I do not know if the shortage report gets its math from MRP,
I would want to try this out in a test environment first.

>We're running v6.0.2MM on an AS/400.
We're running BPCS 405 CD on an AS/436

>TIA,
>
>Eric Stevens
>Snr. Systems Analyst
>Supply Chain Organization
>Allied Domecq Retailing, USA
>Baskin-Robbins/Togos/Dunkin' Donuts

Hoping that you find SFC350 to be a big help towards what you are looking
for,
and that this experiment even gets into the BPCS_L list,
without annoying my boss, whose e-mail address I am using,

Sincerely,

Al Macintyre
AS/436 Manager & Staff
Central Industries of Indiana