  • Subject: DSPBPSACT = Display BPCS programs that are active
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 12:14:33 EDT

Is this reasonably doable?  Has anyone done it?

If a computer user tries to view what all is running on the computer right
now, using OS/400 IBM commands that list active jobs, you do not see the
individual programs like ORD500 ORD590 BIL500 INV500 etc., except for what is
in a JOBQ, like we saw on earlier platforms, instead what you see is BPCSMENU
which is one humongous program that calls other programs, so that when
someone is running what we think of as application programs, they are layers
within the outer later that the IBM tools see.

People are TOLD - do not be doing thus & so in shipping while the billing is
running, but how do you KNOW the billing is running?  There are other
examples of the same kind of thing.  You cannot get into this order because
it is in a particular kind of state --- well who is on-line right now doing
the kind of work that puts it into that kind of state?  We want to consult
with that person.

Sometimes the system seems sluggish - it would be nice if there was an easy
way to see what folks are doing below the BPCSMENU covers.  In the evening,
after most everyone has gone home, it is time to do backup, but some people
have left work stations signed on & we have no idea what program they might
be in the middle of.  It is a regular process - I phone around to remote
sites to find out if the signed on sessions are associated with people
working late.

My figuring is that typically BPCSMENU calls CL which calls a bunch of things
including RPG programs.  If there is some IBM code that says we are now some
number of layers deep in nesting programs calling programs, and it is an RPG
program two steps removed from BPCSMENU, throw it up in this picture, and
also anything running off the JOBQs.

Al Macintyre
+---