  • Subject: Re: Migrating data from legacy system - ideas ?
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:48:44 EDT

Gilbert,

> I got involved in migrating data from an older application into BPCS V6
>  (HP/Ora). 3 things are worrying me at this point:
>
>  - open shop orders - just SO files, not history (is this all) ?

FSO, FOD, and FMA should do it for shop orders.  Be sure to set your flags
correctly.  Will you not have any WIP to convert for which quantities,
completion flags, and such will have to be updated?  What about quantities
allocated to shop orders that would require an "S" record in the ELA?  If the
ELA records are there, you can use the programs on the SYS01 menu to update
the rest of the files for allocations...

>  - open PO orders - HPH/HPO files only

S/B OK, but I haven't dealt with Purchasing much of late.

>  - open inventory balance - for this, I'm planning to write a pgm that would
>  call INV500B in a batch mode, running "O" transactions for their items;

I'd be _very_ careful here.  INV500D2 performs some edits that B doesn't.  Be
sure that your item, location, and warehouse master records are all set up.
Probably a ton more that I'm forgetting, just give yourself _plenty_ of test
runs against a database that you can easily restore after a failed attempt.

>  Anyone has any tips, things to avoid, experiences to share, or, is this
>  feasible at all ?

Test, test, test!  Enter real data through BPCS programs, then make sure that
your programs populate everything in the same manner for the same orders.
Don't forget to update ZPA for things like "next shop order" and "next
purchase order" numbers.  Ensure that, if you have problems later, they aren't
caused by your conversion prior to calling SSA or you will be charged.

Good Luck!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"A true friend is someone who is there for you when he'd rather be anywhere
else." -- Len Wein
+---