  • Subject: RE: BPCS 6.04 CEA mixed mode april cum
  • From: "Lu Festas" <ylufe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:41:33 PDT

Marie, in a mail date Jul 6, 1998 you say:

>BPCS 6.04 April Cum., AS/400 S50 lots of memory and dasd.  The user
was
>complaining that every time they pressed an icon it took forever.  I
>watched on the AS/400 and saw the PC get CPU cycles and then the user
>waited around 40 seconds before the screen was returned to her.

CEA has some .ini files in the windows directory. Specificaly in the
ceagsg.ini (segments), for example, you have the recordlimit paragraph,
which should have a reasonable value. Anything more than 100 makes
segment visualization seem to take an eternity to have the screen
results. This value sets how many records are retrieved from the AS/400
database at a time. Other .ini files have similar values, which may be
set up so that you take less time to show the screen. Look at them.

Also, if you are using Netsoft router to connect to the AS/400, think
seriously about changing the connection to TCP/IP. This connection is
now available to Mixed Mode, and there's a BIG difference between the
two - TCP/IP is much faster.

Also, in the central menu of BPCS, go to "Options" -> Workstation
settings, select all applications, select the "Client" tab, and
de-select the option "List records on Startup". Also, each person should
have its filters (set in the menu, after you enter any application-icon)
set so that they don't need to retrieve ALL records, but only the ones
which are interesting. This may result in faster screen showing.

If nothing of this works, you can go to ogs - ogs.ssax.com, use your
name and password, and search SSA's BMR database. Some BMR's were built
because of CEA slowness. One of them may apply to the specific case of
yours.

Regards,

Luis Festas