  • Subject: A V6 Success Story! (Sorta')
  • From: DAsmussen <DAsmussen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 00:47:44 EDT

Hey Folks!

After nearly a year of effort, we _finally_ went live with 6.0.02 from 5.1.01
over the Memorial Day Weekend!  Rather appropriate, given that we all _feel_
somewhat like war veterans after the effort.  We wrote "post conversion"
programs to handle most of the stuff that SSA screws up in the conversion
(like opening back up most of our closed shop orders, not converting user
menus, not assigning the SSA group to existing user profiles, not changing the
newly AS/Setized program names in ZMO and ZX3, and validating fields such as
"Group Tech Code" in IIM that weren't previously validated).  Went pretty
smooth (_NO_ thanks to SSA), and our CIM Replacement programs using INV500B1
and a batch version of INV500D2 (for validation prior to invoking INV500B1)
worked pretty well.  Between "taking ownership" of some SSA programs to
correct their _LOUSY_ SQL, and creating some "performance" logicals for SQL
based upon the PRTSQLINF command, the performance hasn't been too bad --
'course we have a 530 that was only 50% utilized prior to conversion.  6.0
_can_ work, just takes a _lot_ of effort...

Regards!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the sign of an
empty desk?" -- Anonymous
+---