  • Subject: Re: Converting AS/SET ADK V4.0.1 to V6.0.2
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 23:15:34 -0500 (EST)

Jerome,

Sorry for the delay, we have a new plant coming up on BPCS Monday, November
10!  I haven't had any non-billable time available at the client site to
reply.

> Dean --
>
>  Sounds like you're running 6.0.2 AS/SET, but with what version of
>  Set/TURN? We are currently at AS/SET 5.2.01, TO 4.1, ST V2.6, which only
>  says it requires V2R3, TO 4.1, and AS/SET V4.00.01. Can you confirm this
>  TO/ST setup will work if we upgrade AS/SET to v6.0.2?

You are correct on both counts.  I checked the Set/Turn version window and
got the same results that you did.  I don't know if we installed a patch that
just didn't update the "requirements" data within Set/Turn, or if the old
version still works.  Unfortunately, the person primarily responsible for the
upgrade is no longer around (which begs my continuing lament -- "Treat your
people right, or _LOSE_ them.")

>  We're on RISC boxes. Because of your ADD mention, are you on CISC?
>  Thought ADD was only available for CISC, still would think if the AS/SET,
>  TO/ST combo works for CISC, it will also work for RISC.

We _have_ ADD on our development 320 (4-way), but that doesn't mean that we
_use_ ADD.  Our production box is a RISC 530, but we have no development
tools installed.  I included the ADD reference only for those foolish enough
to waste their time using it.  The first time it showed me the wrong contents
for a variable (multiple views of the same file in the same program), I told
everyone at the site to quit using it -- and they did.

>  Also, have you seen differences in 6.0.2 other than the increased
>  extension line support? This is the reason we would like to put the
>  release up, so we can stop squeezing long SQL statements into a measly 5
>  lines.

SEVERAL new % functions have been added, many of which are used in BPCS
V6.x.xx.  We really haven't had time to evaluate the new functions, but we
needed ADK 6.0.2 for BPCS 6.0.02PLF++++.  Manuals are no longer available,
you have to pull them off of the CD-ROM.  As usual, we've found some
functions that _USED_ to work w/in the syntax checker (can't remember which
obscure ones they were off the top of my head), but no longer do.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions...

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"So a man said to God, 'What's a million years to you?'  God replied 'It's a
second.'  So the man asked of God, 'What's a million dollars to you?'  God
replied, 'A penny'.  So the man said to God 'Will you give me a penny?'  God
said 'Yes I will -- in a second.' " -- Unknown
+---