Hi Matt

Response inline for #1 and #2

Vern

On 11/4/2015 10:25 AM, Matt Shea wrote:
Thanks Everyone,

I thought it would be a trivial task using PHP too. Which it is if I simply have to parse out the necessary elements from a local XML file. I ran into my roadblock when attempting to receive an actual POST via the php://input stream. I am receiving nothing via the stream or $_REQUEST or $_POST.

So, I thought I could switch gears and use RPG to do the same thing. I haven't had to use RPG as CGI, I've only written PHP as the interface to IBM I programs, stored procedures and database.

So, after perusing Google for hours:
1) I'm stuck on how to receive the POST in RPG. (And apparently PHP too!)
I think you could use CGIDEV2 for this - go to http://www.easy400.net - it's a free service program, lots of people on this list use it.
2) How to parse the XML in RPG. I can parse the document easily enough in PHP.
With fairly current versions of RPG we have the XML-INTO and XML-SAX operations - they can do pretty cool stuff with XML directly into data structures or variables in RPG. There are some gotchas - another thread was discussing this, too.
3) Tips on why the php://input stream may not be working correctly.

I've been using Apache with PHP for years for web, and have been using RPG for years for business. (And perhaps foolishly thought never the twain shall meet.)

Thanks,
Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: WEB400 [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Allen, Todd
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 6:46 AM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [WEB400] IBM i Receive XML POST

I assume you have an Apache or other HTTP server set up to handle incoming requests. If so, why not parse the XML data using PHP and pass off the parsed data to DB2 via stored procedure? PHP has a built in parser and a huge community to lean on for questions. The XML parsing seems much better suited for PHP than RPG. Perhaps I am oversimplifying.

Thanks,
Todd