Hi Maurice;

could
you please explain the processing cycle which occurs i.e. how the final
.aspx page is compiled and the results returned to the clients browser?. I
for one would sure like to understand how this works?

How it works:
Well - basically IceBreak is "just" a servlet-container. Just like Tomcat implements a servlet container for java - this is what IceBreak does for RPG - or rather for ILE. IceBreak is a ILE servlet container - with the same functionality you find in tomcat. Or if you work with Microsoft: IceBreak is a container similar to how IIS can instantiate OLE/.NET objects and bring the interface to the client using and hiding the HTTP / HTTPS protocol.

And the fact that IceBreak is the ILE servlet container also underlines the misunderstanding of the title of this Thread: "IceBreak as an alternative to Apache" - Well is Tomcat an alternative to Apache? no - not really. Typically you use Apache and tomcat very closely together. We also use Apache and IceBreak closely together.

If you have made servlets or Enterprise Java Beans for Tomcat you will know what I am talking about- if not; let me just say that I doubt you will find many (or any) java programs on the net that struggles with using CGI the always runs within some container. So I can't get my head around the ILE / RPG dudes have to deal with CGI - if you can have some container to incapsulate the nasty stuff.

The concept of the "container" in RPG terms is: you have loads of API's you can call to communicate with the client, the server, the session, the environment - so you can forget about the client, the server, the session and the environment code - and only have business logic in your code

And quite frankly: I have no idea why IBM did not give us ILE / RPG dudes a container for ILE written in ILE along ago ... this is what we have been waiting for.

Again - could
you please explain the processing cycle which occurs i.e. how the final
.aspx page is compiled and the results returned to the clients browser?. I
for one would sure like to understand how this works?

Just a simple RPG - ASPX program that explains it all - and remember guys - there are also alternative to the ASPX/JSP approach in IceBreak by externalizing the response - but for the simplicity let me make a small IceBreak RPG program that tells it all:

<%
D name 256 varying
/free
name = qryStr('name');
%>Hello: <%= name %><%
return;
%>

.... Aint RPG just great ....

Lets assume you develop in plain RPG - but have in mind, however COBOL, C++ and CLP is also supported in IceBreak .

First. IceBreak contains a Just-In-Time or JIT-compiler, which is a combined pre-compiler and the traditional IBM RPG. The first time an resource is referred from in the browser and the object does not exists ( or is outdated) it will recompile the ASPX code if you have some JSP/ASPX/PHP like syntax ( the <% and %> in you code) will expand that to response.Write for anything that goes to the client.

If you have clean RPG - the precompiler does not much except for setting up bindings and linking to the IceBreak core.

If you have made typos in the code it will now show that in the browser - otherwise it will create the program object, and call that.

This all happens as long the server is in development mode. When you switch it into production mode, the JIT is deactivated and IceBreak will always just call the program object - hence in production you don't need to install the source code.

Best regards

Niels Liisberg

Chief Technology Officer

System & Method