From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Monday, 22 November 2010 5:01 a.m.
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Great new Rich UI features in RBD 8

Hi Peter!

Sorry I didn't answer this right away; it takes me a while to catch up
after speaking at DevCon.

It's hard to pick a framework much less learn it. One of the real
problems with a rich UI project is just pulling the trigger on which
framework to use. In order to do that, you have to learn those various
frameworks. And in order to do that you have to become pretty
conversant with all the underlying technologies, from HTML to XML, from
JavaScript to JSON.

Thin client is a bit easier - you tend to go JSF or Spring, and there's
a ton of information out there comparing the two. But there are dozens
of Rich frameworks, and many of the differences are pretty technical.

With EGL, you have fewer choices but all the plumbing is done for you.
You end up with a great default framework of IBM's widgets and Dojo
1.5. That's more than enough to start a pretty solid application
framework. As time goes on, IBM will probably add frameworks, but if
you decide that you just can't live without some component, you can then
bite the bullet, learn the JavaScript behind it, and write your own EGL
wrapper. EGL is all about extension.

As to installing, it's a little difficult because RBD 8 isn't released
yet. But as soon as it comes out I'll write an article on
installation. Have you installed any Rational products yet? RDi or
RDP? If so, I can give you the 20-second overview:

1. Download RDP version 8. Install into a new package group.
2. Download RBD version 8. Install into the same package group as number 1.

You're done!

Getting started is a little more involved. You could buy my book on
EGL, which takes you end to end developing a multi-tier application with
both thin and rich clients. Unfortunately, you just missed iSeries
DevCon, where I usually have at least one session and one lab on EGL
development for the i. The truth is once you get started, it's pretty
simple. EGL is about as easy a language to use as you can find (put
your data is in records, and pass those records from one place to
another), and attaching to RPG on the back end is almost trivial.

Joe

Joe,
Thanks a bunch.
This could be the impetus we, as a small team (6), need to finally decide to adopt an industry strength UI framework.
My worry is that, without one, our more recent developers have been coding evermore complex (and perhaps unsupportable) code at both the client and server, to resolve issues that such a framework may now provide.
These days I sometimes feel taking the elevator makes more sense than proving how fast I can mount the stairs.

BTW, is there a document which illustrates that getting started/installing etc is equally as simple?

Cheers, Peter