I agree. The advantages of RPG and web development for IBM i shops seems
to be familiarity and ease/simplicity of development (relatively speaking)
for RPG programmers. CGI on the IBM i seems to have performance advantages
over CGI on other platforms as well, though I don't know how well it
scales vs. other languages/frameworks that have been designed for the web.

Disadvantages of RPG are that it is proprietary (which is not always a bad
thing as Apple has shown vis-a-vis portability which tends to negate the
advantages of any given platform from the lowest common denominator),
there are way fewer RPG programmers in the web sphere (pardon the pun),
far less information and OSS available on the web in comparison to
languages like PHP, Java, C#, etc., and most crucially, a lack of
frameworks to assist in cutting down on development time (i.e.,
re-inventing the wheel). Third-party products can be of assistance, but I
wonder how flexible and feature-rich they are in comparison to frameworks
like Zend, Spring, etc. that actively being developed for a far wider
audience.

That said, it seems like the future of the browser interface is 1) HTML +
CSS + Javascript (and associated frameworks), 2) plug-in technologies like
Flex, Silverlight, JavaFX, etc. or 3) possibly HTML5. The current trend is
to move away from server-side languages like PHP, Java, C#, etc. for the
UI, unless they are used to generate HTML and Javascript (e.g., GWT). So
the combination of RPG for the controller and model code with no. 1 above
for the view may suffice for many shops to generate modernized RPG apps
without the hassles and complexity of learning a new language and
framework. Valence, for example, seems like a pretty elegant and quick way
for RPGers to get to the web, though there is a requirement to learn ExtJS
and/or a WYSIWYG tool.

On another note, there is an OO RPG solution if someone wants to learn
ASNA's Visual RPG .NET. You'd have to drink the Microsoft cool-aid,
however, and might be better served just learning C# or VB .NET (both of
which have larger developer bases).

Blake

Blake Butterworth | Senior Programmer Analyst | Kansas Turnpike Authority