The following screen shot shows an example where we're using nested inline frames:

http://www.radile.com/rdweb/temp/seating.pdf

The application is part of a comprehensive Student Information System, which shows a list of students enrolled in a class. The idea is make classroom seating assignments by clicking a seat location - then selecting a student from a popup list.

Inline frames are nested as follows:

1. Enrolled Students Popup - within -
2. Seating Assignments - within -
3. Seating Sections - within -
4. Class (Algebra 2) - within -
5. Teacher's Gradebook (Kendall Andelin) - within -
6. Fiscal Year & Term - within -
7. School (Goblin High School) - within -
8. District (Halloween Alley) - within -
9. Work Area (Student Information) - within -
10. OnePoint Portal

Nested inline frames reflect hierarchical relationships between database tables and portal work areas. The cool thing about nesting the frames is that users can drill down & navigate back up the hierarchy with a single click, while the frame preserves the state of the content therein. Unfortunately we seem to have reached a limit with Firefox.

Any suggestions? Or is this concept just too rare in Web applications?

-Nathan.