Thanks folks - looks like it is either two queries, or put stuff into an
array

Larry Kleinman
Kleinman Associates, Inc.
212-949-6469
203-255-4100

MattLavinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
12/15/2009 11:38 AM
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WEB400] getting number of records returned by SQL in PHP

If I need to know the number of rows ahead of time I either do a count(*)
query first or I read all the results into an array before doing any
processing. If you all the read the data into an array you can just use
the count() function to get the number of rows. Most likely net.data is
doing something similar to that if it is able to tell you how many rows
were retrieved. As far as I know, SQL does not have a facility to tell
you
the number of rows a select will retrieve without actually counting them.

I suppose the third option would be to return multiple result sets. I am
not as familiar with that method, but it should work. It would still
involve two queries, but they could be done on the same request. The
performance hit would be negligible compared to two separate requests. The
first result set would include a column with the total number of rows and
the second would contain the actual data.

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Larry Kleinman <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx> |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date: |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|12/15/2009 09:34 AM |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject: |
|------------>

|[WEB400] getting number of records returned by SQL in PHP |

Hi all - net.data has a nice feature called TOTAL_ROWS which gives the
total number of rows returned by a SQL query. Is there something similar
in PHP?

Larry Kleinman
Kleinman Associates, Inc.
212-949-6469