Jorge,

If you ask three different people, you will get three different answers.
A better question that I should ask you is "what is your primary
objective?" For example, if you asked IBM what is the best server you
should buy, they would ask what are you going to use it for? If you
want performance they might recommend a Power P. if TCO is what you are
all about then IBM i. If scaling transactional workload into the
stratosphere is your goal then maybe a System z. You get my point?
Each of these systems is wonderful in its own way. You need to give us
more parameters. Because if performance is all you care about then
maybe a Power P might be what you need? Are you interested in less
servers? Is the IBM i still in the cards for the long term? What are
you and your organizations goals? Cost issues? Staffing concerns?

Now, for my own opinion based upon what you said. You have an
investment in Linux, IBM i, PHP and MySQL. All of which can be
consolidated on an IBM i. So let's say you consolidate all of this on
the IBM i. Well, if you have a new box with excess capacity I would say
no problem. If it is a Model 500 with 512 MB of RAM and 20GB of disk
operating at 90% capacity most of the time on V4R5 I would say stick
with what you got.

I would consolidate as much on to the IBM i as possible to maximize TCO
and simplify the infrastructure. Running a web server on the most
reliable box in the house just makes sense to me but I have been told
that I am a bit biased. Also, if you consolidate your PHP applications
on IBM i you can then use the i5 toolkit to call RPG programs directly
with no need for C+Java, ODBC, etc. It would all run natively. Many
customers are running this stuff on their intranets. But a few have
plugged in to the Internet. To see for yourself, check out the YiP's
PHP website where they have Sugar CRM running on an IBM i for the world
to see. http://www.youngiprofessionals.com/site/

Others monitoring this thread might recommend Java or Net.Data or .Net.
But you already have an investment in talent with PHP, MySQL and IBM i.
Why not leverage that?

Good luck!

Regards,

Mike