Hi Nathan,

2009/1/7 Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx>

Rob,

I gather that you used the HTML DDS *DSPF keyword to modify the Workstation
Gateway stream. That's quite different than my first thought.

I hope that I didn't mislead you. What I have done makes a considerable
difference to the look and functionality of the WSG screens. That is what
matters from an end user viewpoint.

In an earlier discussion (before Christmas) I suggested using Virtual
Terminal APIs to map 5250 data streams to messages that a JavaScript client
might transform into DOM elements. The general idea was to come up with a
message format that was less verbose than HTML

I don't consider that HTML needs to be that verbose, although some web
developers (generators?) throw in a lot of stuff that I don't find the need
to use and their pages can be enormous. Without images, my pages are
typically 8k to 20k. This includes the Javascript to modify WSG. With
CGIDEV2, this won't be necessary so they might be smaller but of course I
may add functionality. At the 10k level, a page might include 10 links, each
with "ONMOUSOVER", "OndblClick", "OnClick" and "onmouseout" and I don't
consider this verbose. A 20k page might have 60 links with "ONmouseover"
etc. What would you consider to be a reasonable HTML page size?

, but still enable access to 5250 programs from browsers.

My idea with WSG and now with CGIDEV2 is that just one set of code will
provide both WEB and 5250 environments. Although I have some way to go with
CGIDEV2, I have got far enough to convince myself that CGIDEV2 will do what
I want, even if I find stumbling blocks along the way.

Whilst I doing the CGIDEV2 development for ERROS, I am trying to build in a
fair amount of flexibility so that it will be possible to use it for other
applications.

I kind of hoped that someone on the list might develop something like
that. It could be a useful add-on to a web portal I have. It would be nice
if a JavaScript client exposed an interface that would enable form input
elements to be filled in via JavaScript, to automate 5250 sign-on / program
calls. It would be nice to launch 5250 programs from portal menus, for
example.

Changing the subject:

Regarding using meta-data to build applications, I hear ya. It sounds like
you've come up with something of a virtual machine and/or generator for
applications.

Nothing is generated

I particularly like the virtual machine concept - providing as much
functionality as possible. It would be helpful to only have to create new
programs and screens that might be outside the functional scope of the
runtime environment.

This is how ERROS works. What is already there can be re-used when building
new applications. It is truly object oriented (but has no connection with
Object Oriented programming). Developers can use the OO features of ERROS
without needing to know anything about OO.

I am lucky that over the years I have worked in a wide variety of businesses
and I have learnt that most information is the same, although users would
not agree.

Then I think about code generators like Adobe Flex/Flash Studio. Drop a
check-box onto a form and the compiler generates a 100K executable. Drop an
additonal push button onto the form and the compiler adds another 50K to the
executable. A broadly scoped application could be dozens of megabytes in
size. And every user must to download that over the wire. What could be
worse?

Not much and of course this application would presumably not be integrated
in the Corporate Database, probably would not use commitment control, would
not have an audit trail, would not automatically write all database changes
to a second, off site, system, etc..

Without any commitment on your part, do you think that my approach would
have general application? A demonstration that I have given many times is
that my method can reduce a 10 man month development task (as estimated by
IBM) to just two hours! An important feature is that development can be
incremental and you don't have to do a minutely detailed analysis before you
start development.

I am now going to read the web5250 thread and will either post something
there or respond to you in this thread.

Rob

www.erros.co.uk

Nathan.