From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:08 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Getting started with Net.data - was -I'dbetter
domorethan talk

Robert

Have you tried Net.Data? It is fitted so well to the native iSeries
stuff - yes, that also exists in PHP, it seems. But for simple? Wow - I
remember it was the utmost in simple. Standard HTML plus script
statements that relate directly to what we use on the iSeries - almost
no learning curve here.

All those PHP developers out there are probably not working against an
iSeries - so one will have to do lots of adjustments and mods, I bet -
of course, I've used it yet ;-)

Vern
From: "Dean, Robert" <rdean@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

If time is really that critical, I would say start out with PHP. It
is the most widely used web application development language, and
there
is a broad community supporting it.

When you're ready for something a little less prototype-y, Zend has
an open source framework that will help with building well-designed
applications.

PHP also has a fair number of quality IDEs that support it (including
Zend Studio, NetBeans, and Eclipse PDT) and offer good debugging
tools.
The IDE support isn't as full-featured as what you get with Java or
.Net, but it's definitely worthwhile.

--Robert