Alfredo Delgado wrote:
I'm a big fan of JavaScript Object Notation. I treat JSON vs. XML as
internal vs. external views of data. Unless I'm dealing with a product that
already outputs XML (I'm lazy), I always choose JSON over XML for AJAX.

I fall in the same numberless bucket of assuming it performs better with fat
DTDs but I find it much more natural to write JS code that accesses a native
data structure.

Alfred
The more I've been using JSON, the more I like it. But I'm a self-taught programmer, not a computer scientist, so maybe I just lean more towards the simpler approaches. I hated EJBs because they were so over-designed, and I feel the same way about XML and especially SOAP. Now, if you're in an environment where you need a very strict standardized interface between two entities that otherwise don't talk (a la EDI) then SOAP is probably a reasonable choice. But if you're sending small amounts of program-level data (e.g. data structures) between two machines, then I think JSON is the easiest answer.

Joe