Pete,

You raise a couple of great points here. First of all the EGL architects
realized that they could not anticipate every conceivable issue or handle
every possible situation. EGL incorporates a "direct call" facility that
allows it to issue direct calls or remote calls to any program in any
language on any supported platform. In addition it provides a construct
called an "interface" that allows a Java or C++ developer to write advanced
function code then create an EGL Interface over it. The EGL developer sees a
simple function call with parameters that returns a result. The ultimate
downfall of 4GL's was the fact that you had to modify their generated code.
EGL differs radically in that it provides the ability to add functionality
and never touch its generated code. You write at the EGL language level,
you debug at the EGL language level from detailed program logic to web
interfaces with JSF and JavaScript. Complete end to end debugging in the
tool with the EGL language.

As far as picking COBOL over RPG it is really irrelevant as we strongly
recommend not touching the generated code. What you may or may not know is
that both COBOL and RPG (and other languages) generate an intermediate set
of code called w-code. It is the w-code that is actually translated to
machine code.

So from a runtime perspective there is absolutely no difference. We have
been having ongoing discussions about the benefits and value of going
directly to w-code and bypassing the COBOL generation step. Java is a bit
different as Java is Java.

Pete I'll not name names but I have worked with a couple of the common 4GL's
on System i and have seen what happens when you modify their generated
source code. Over time you end up defeating the benefit of the language.

With EGL our solution is simple. If you need to go outside EGL then do so
in the language of your choice as a callable program and then call it from
within EGL.