so most Java things other than syntax are readily available to RPG
programmers.

For RPG calling Java, to get decent performance there's a cost of
development that isn't incurred with other ILE languages (i.e. C). I am
obviously talking about one JVM per job.

(I'm going to ignore .NET just because I choose to <grin>. It requires an
operating system that Microsoft can barely deliver. You want to run your
business on Vista?

Is there a "Vista Server Edition" just like there was for XP? I know for
one of my JSF apps they always put it on Windows XP Web Edition or something
like that. As I understand it there are subtle differences that might make
it better than what we run on our desktops - but that's all the further I
can comment.

What are your top ten advancements in Java since, say, Java 2. That gives
you 1.3, 1.4, 5 and 6. My guess is that the majority of your answers will
be in J2EE, not J2SE, but I might be wrong.

With Java I would say my perception of it accelerating faster than RPG would
in many ways be in the area of library advancement/creation. So look at how
much the Java UI (Swing, SWT, Matisse) has been able to expand over the
years. And then obviously, like you guessed, look at how much Java on the
web has advanced (Servlets, JSP's, Struts, JSF, etc). Some of the things I
consider advancement are part of the JCP and some are not (i.e. JFreeChart
at jfree.org). So if you look at the big picture of a language, isn't it
fair to say that Java has been accelerating on nearly all fronts faster than
RPG?

Given your preference to Java, what would be on your list?

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com