One of the scariest things about being an IBM business partner is pioneering an
idea that IBM at some point espouses itself, and muscles the business partner
out of the picture.  Companies like Lansa and BCD software may have pioneered
the idea of using a 4GL platform neutral language to generate platform specific
code, but when their products reach a certain level of success, IBM releases
something to compete against it.  EGL seems to be that way.

It looks like Rails is quite different than EGL.  Rather than using platform
generic 4GL code to generate platform specific 3GL code, Rails uses predefined
scripts and templates to initially generate code specific to the deployment
platform, using just a few basic parameters such as template name and table
name, then leaves it up to the developer to complete and extend it using the
language and editors applicable to that platform.  The term "code
initialization" might be better suited than "code generation".

Applying the idea to an ILE environment, it seems like you might be able to use
CL scripts to generate HTML and RPG source files based on a few basic
parameters like program name and database table name.

EGL seems like an overly-engineered solution in comparison.  If there's a
learning curve for the platform neutral language, and a lot of options
pertaining to various deployment languages and platforms, it's going to be
complex for many shops to work with.  That's a pity.   The whole idea is to
make development easier.

Compound that with the fact that user interface paradigms tend to shift.  We
seem to be entering the next phase of browser user interfaces, which are based
on AJAX.  If the new UI paradigm doesn't precisely fit with the 3GL language de
jour, you're basically stuck.

Nathan Andelin