*** REPLYING TO A MESSAGE FROM MIDRANGE-L

Steve Richter wrote:
>>> For example, will PHP be able to call into RPG code that does not
>>> support multi threading?
>> Probably the same way Java can call RPG code that doesn't support
>> multi-threading :)
> that is a good point.  I am assuming that web servers use a thread
> pool from which a thread is selected for the stateless web request to
> run in.

Since few languages on the iSeries are thread safe, the web server
actually starts a number of separate job instances to service the
various requests.  This allows ILE & OPM programs to be invoked for CGI
requests.

Actually, when I look at my linux systems, I always see a lot of httpd
tasks running as separate processes.  So it seems that even Standard
apache httpd doesn't use a thread pool either.  I may be wrong on this.

> I guess a job pool could be used just the same but that might
> mean a lot more changes have to be made to the PHP code being ported
> to the i5.

Really?  I'm no expert in PHP, but what would a web scripting language
require threading for?

david