Use include() when the code to evaluate is optional, that way, if the file is
not found, the script continues running and only generates a warning message.
i.e.: help files.

Use require() when the code to evaluate is mandatory for the successful running
of the script.  If the file is not found the script ends and generates an error
message. i.e.: business function definitions.

Both functions have the "_once" variation and are used if it is possible that
the include() or require() functions can be parsed more the once and you don't
want the secondary or tertiary evaluations to step on previously assigned
variables.  Beware of using these unnecessarily as they do slow down execution
of the script.  I've never been in a position where I have had to use either of
these variations so can't give you a real world example but maybe the manual
can help you out there:

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.include-once.php

Cheers,
Don
--
Ever had one of those days where you just felt like:
http://cosmoslair.com/BadDay.html ?