> 2) My need is to be able to create a controlled
> access environment...

One thing we're doing is providing menus, which are
tailored to individual users (based on their
authorization to specific SQL views).

In addition to menus, we're providing input boxes and
drop-down lists, which are linked to "order by" and
"where" clause values applicable to the SQL view in
question.

See:

http://216.250.76.214:9220/etl/sms/screen_shot.jpg