> The new box we are looking at will have 2000
> CPW batch...60 interactive.  The discount we
> are being told is 70 percent off if we purchase IBM's
> web-facing configurator. At a 100k purchase,
> that is severe. Why aren't more people jumping at
> this offer? That was the main point of the original
> post...any reason to balk at this?

Why aren't more people jumping on this?  Critical mass.  There just
aren't that many companies who have completely converted their entire
application base through IBM WebFacing and completely abandoned
interactive 5250.  I see some red flags in your posts which should
make you pause.  First off, I have no idea what IBM's 'web-facing
configurator' is.  Is it WebFacing, part of WebSphere Development
Studio Client for iSeries?  (WDSCi).  Is it HATS?  Something else?

Your RF devices are another red flag.  Can they access Internet
Explorer 5.5 or above?  If not, they will NOT run screens converted by
IBM WebFacing.  IBM WebFacing uses IE 5.5 and up to display the
panels.  Not Mochasoft emulation.

> IBM is telling us that as long as you have a
> minimum of 500 CPW, there should be no
> performance issues whatsoever with any
> interactive applications running in the
> web-faced batch environment

CPW isn't nearly as important as L2 cache and memory for WebSphere
Application Server.  I am guessing that IBM is selling you WAS for the
new box, since that is what they sell.  For what it's worth, even
Tomcat likes L2 cache and memory (just not as much as WAS.)

> I have seen attempts at Java-based WMS
> systems before and they all have been miserable
> failures...the more layers you run through, the
> more trouble you get into when every function
> key is asking for multiple database and program
> exchanges. However, with RPG still running
> on the 400 and just the screens serving HTML
> pages, I think this is no problem.

Java doesn't normally use function keys, but it sounds like heavy ODBC
use.  When thinking about simplicity and multiple layers, be very
aware that any webifyer is going to need at least 1 new layer: the
HTTP server (like Apache).  If you go with IBM WebFacing, you will
also add an application server (like WAS or Tomcat).  Any
servlet-based webifyer will require this application server layer.
Some datastream converters require client software on the PC.  This
often takes the form of an Activex control or Java applet downloaded
(mostly transparently) via the browser.  The point is that almost
every webifyer technique is going to add a layer to your existing
application flow.
  --buck