Joe Pluta wrote:
As to my initial question, it seems that the redirect is the answer; but
I still get confused between a redirect and a URL rewrite.  What are the
pros and cons of these two methods?

Redirect is fairly simple, I think ... it simply lets you redirect a request from one to the other.

Rewrite lets you perform some rather complex transformations on the request.