From: MEovino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:MEovino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 09 October 2003 01:42
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Servlets/JSP vs. Struts vs ??? (was RE: [WEB400] Re: InfoWorld:
"Developers show their independents treak , favoring Web-based apps")

What do I consider to be "J2EE"?  Good question.  I'd have to say that I'm
not really sure.  For starters, a web app server that supports at least most
of the J2EE standard (either Tomcat or WAS Express).

Now, as for whether we'll use servlets/JSP's, Struts, JSF or something else,
I really don't know.  JSF *sounds* interesting (especially given that I've
done some playing around with ASP.NET's WebMatrix, and JSF seems to want to
support a similar toolkit), but all my guys and I are perfectly happy
writing HTML by hand.  The whole division between programmer and HTML author
is pretty blurry around here.  So I wonder if that's really worthwhile for
us.

Now I've read a whole lot about Struts and even took a lab at the Websphere
Technical Conference.  JSP custom tags look nice, but are they specific to
Struts (I keep hearing them mentioned in conjunction with each other)? What
is the advantage to Struts vs. servlets/JSP?  How will it make me and my
people more productive?  What are you guys out there using?

Mike E.

                      "Joe Pluta"

                      <joepluta@plutabr        To:       "'Web Enabling the
AS400 / iSeries'" <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      others.com>              cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: [WEB400] Re:
InfoWorld: "Developers show their independents   treak
                      web400-bounces@mi         , favoring Web-based apps"

                      drange.com

                      10/08/2003 03:17

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      Web Enabling the

                      AS400 / iSeries

> From: MEovino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> We're working on getting logic out of our Net.Data code, but it's
going to
> be a long process.  But it will make it easier for us to get out of
> Net.Data and into J2EE, which is where I'd like to head.

Mike: What do you consider to be "J2EE"?

Servlets and JSPs, perhaps with a framework such as Struts or JSF? Or are
you looking at going the whole EJB route?

Joe