We're doing this with our visitor self-signin. A set of web pages (powered by
AS/400 ^_^) prompts for the visitor's name, company, who they're visiting,
etc. If the visitor has never been at our facility before, they are shown a
PowerPoint presentation (safety/orientation). Then a label is printed with
their information and bar code (for signing out).

All this runs on a "publicly accessible" PC in the foyer. It is quite a task
to only allow certain things to happen, but prevent others.

What we ended up doing is upgrading the box to Windows XP and instituting
group policies. Group policy is a godsend in a kiosk situation where you want
extremely tight control over IE and general box functions.

We have an "autologon" script set on the machine, and the only allowed
functions are IE and multimedia events (for the PowerPoint). IE runs in full
screen mode with many things turned off (close window, no menus, no Start
button, etc).

I agree that IE kiosk mode isn't really "useful" for public internet use, but
for internal kiosk applications, web "presentations", etc., it is very nice.

Loyd

--
Mediocrity: It takes a lot less time and most people won't notice
the difference until it's too late. <http://www.despair.com/>