> From: "Mike Skvarenina" <mskvarenina@usa.net>
> Our "core" system consists of 300+ database files and
> 1,200 RPG programs in about 1.1 million lines of code.
> The challenge thus far has been to "re-write" this entire
> system using "new technology"....Java and Oracle to be
> specific.  We havn't really started yet but there has been
> alot of talk.

About 10 years ago, the owner of the company I worked for decided to do the
same thing, basically.  He hired new people.  Java wasn't around back then.
The new people came from a Unix and C language background.  The existing
staff were to maintain the old system and help on the new when time allowed.
It offered me a limited opportunity to develop under AIX.

The old system was similar in scope to yours.  To make a long story short,
we never completed the new system.  We never sold a license to the software.
Our efforts were nearly a complete waste of time and money.  The former Unix
+ C programmers are doing OS/400 + RPG today on an extension of the old
system.

Ironically, I (the former RPG programmer) later got a job in a primarily
Unix, C, and Java shop.  I tried to recruit an individual who was brightest
of my former colleagues who had the Unix + C background.  By that time he
had gained considerable experience with OS/400 and RPG.  He wouldn't accept
my offer to return to a Unix shop.  Now I too am back doing full-time RPG
development, but not with my former employer.

Nathan M. Andelin
www.relational-data.com