> Now you may argue that the iSeries is "open" these days
> and it can be if you
> use it that way, but our legacy applications, written
> primarily using DDS
> and RPG III & IV simply aren't "open" in the manner that
> you could pick them
> up and drop them on a Sun box without any major changes.

I don't consider the AS/400 open today.  IBM took other
products (apache, linux, etc) and moved them to their system
in a proprietary fashion.

"Open" would be letting me download Apache from apache.org
and install it on my AS/400.

Its like they had their own country consiting only of blue
people and they were called "closed".  So they took some
"purple" people into their colony, did some fancy
restructuring of their DNA, cloned them and say "look, we
now have purple people".  It's not like they just opened
their doors and let everyone in, which is what we'd like to
see.

This isn't necisarilly a bad thing, because it is the best
box going.  The blue people have it made with little or no
occurances of natural disasters.  But I can see that down
the road it may be more of a problem.  :)