> has anyone else encountered this behaviour?

I can't say that I've ever run into this one, Rick.  Does it only happen in
Notes, or is it everywhere you go?  Plus, what Windows version are you
running?

> I do, on occasion, re-size my display to 800x600 to test cgi web pages for
> suitability at that resolution, but only for a moment or two and I then
> re-size back to 1024x768.  Could this have some effect?  Is it just an IE
> 6 thing?  I don't remember ever seeing this before.

I've never had any problems with monitor resizing like that - my suggestion
would be to pop on over to windowsupdate.com and check to see if you have
all the latest patches and such for IE6.  Beyond that, search their online
troubleshooting - I have to admit, their help libraries are exceptional (of
course, you have to have great support when you put out a product like
that).  If worse comes to worse, contact their tech support.

- Erik
http://www.baron-inc.net