I believe I'm going to go Joel Cochran's route and write a Java applet to draw
the chart. I've wanted all along for the image generation process to reside on
the AS/400, since that's where the web server and database are. Since there
doesn't seem to be any GD-type packages native to the 400, Joel's solution
(CGI program gives parameters to web page to put into applet residing on IFS)
sounds like the next best thing.

I've got about 40 departments for which we need to track labor productivity.
The new plant manager is revamping the whole producitivity process, and wants
trend charts (similar to stock price performance line graphs) for the previous
year. In addition, the departments can be grouped in several arbitrary ways
(product lines, assembly or machining, combined reporting, etc). It is not
feasible for me to download the data to a PC each day and run through all the
permutations that may not be used that day.

I agree: horizontal bar charts are ridiculously easy to create. I already use
them in a daily sales report showing actual versus forecast/budgeted sales.
However, I don't know a way of creating line charts without resorting to more
programming. Any type of "trend" charting invariably requires line or plot
point charts, which is considerably more difficult to generate *from the
AS/400*. The next best solution is for the AS/400 to supply the data, and let
the PC graph the data at the web browser (a requirement).

It's been an interesting and enlightening discussion.

Thanks,
Loyd

--
"Why, you can even hear yourself think." --Hobbes
"This is making me nervous. Let's go in." --Calvin