  • Subject: RE: Mixing GET and POST Methods
  • From: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:47:36 -0500

Whether you use RPG CGI, JSPs, or even VB as your front end, in my opinion
the best architecture is to leave your back end in RPG (although some shops
might prefer COBOL, and I won't argue the pros and cons of that battle).
Java is simply not the correct language for business logic, nor is SQL the
right access method.  Good old integrated indexed access like we have in RPG
and COBOL is by far the easiest and most maintainable way to develop
business logic.  This method protects your investment in legacy programs AND
in legacy programmers.  Frankly, there are very, very few Java programmers
who actually understand business application programming - and that's why
there are very few Java business applications.  RPG is still the language of
choice for business.

Just my two cents.

The model I outline in my book works with any web server, not just
WebSphere.  It also works without a web server.  e-deployment is UI
independent - it works with thick clients, XML, anything you choose.  It
just so happens that I prefer using servlets and JSPs because they're so
flexible.  Here's an example of a 5250 replacement JSP:

<head>
<!-- version 1.2 -->
<%@ include file="/include/SccStdMetaTags.inc" %>
<title>Work with Campers</title>
<%@ include file="/include/Scc5250Style.inc" %>
</head>

<%@ include file="/include/SccStdHeader.inc" %>
<%@ include file="/include/Scc5250Header.inc" %>
<%@ include file="DF00001402.fld" %>
<%@ include file="DF00001403.fld" %>
<%@ include file="DF00001404.fld" %>
<%@ include file="/include/Scc5250Footer.inc" %>
<%@ include file="/include/SccStdCmdKeys.inc" %>
<%@ include file="/include/SccStdFooter.inc" %>

A combination of JSPs, server side includes, properly written Java classes,
and it becomes very easy to develop new interfaces.

Joe Pluta
Pusher of JSP/RPG Solutions <grin>

+---