On 31 October 2016 at 17:29, Bob Cagle <bcagle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Buck Calabro

On 10/31/2016 4:17 PM, Greg Wilburn wrote:
Are there any plans in the works for an option in RDi to convert control specs to free format?

I wrote a primitive plug-in that handles that for me.

Buck - care to share that plug-in?

Hi Bob,
I wasn't being humble when I said it was primitive. It's not in a
state where one can pop in an update site into RDi and install /
update it. You'll need to compile and install it yourself. John
already posted the Github site where I keep the latest version.
There's also a copy in code.midrange.com - search my call sign and
lpexextension and it'll come up. Instructions for Frankensteining it
into your RDi are here:
http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/RDP_ToPrefixArea

I really want to encourage people to try their own plug-ins. The
point being that if I can manage it, yeah, pretty much everyone
reading this can. My background in Java hovers a tad above
HelloWorld. My experience with Eclipse is limited to poking around
inside property files. So the Java that makes up my plug-in is...
well, rough. About the only useful parts are the infrastructure where
I make my code run inside Eclipse / RDi. Basically, I copy/pasted
code from an old IBM tutorial for RDz, so calling it 'my code' is
actually a bit pretentious!

When I first got the idea, I thought Java was too much for my
'procedural code' brain to deal with. And I really thought that
mucking with Eclipse was hard - the documentation seems to be written
for the people who developed the thing, not for people trying to learn
about developing for it. Like anything else, after a little practice,
it became less mysterious. There really aren't a lot of moving parts
to master - it's easier than subfiles in my opinion.

I really do hope that other people on this list try their hand at it.
There are a lot of things that can be done via User Actions, and once
you get started, the horizon just opens up for all sorts of new ideas.

--buck