I am having trouble sorting out my IFS-xml options and potential solutions. Here is the scenario, as it appears to me:

The IFS file has no file name extension. I can look at the file with 5250's WRKLNK and it appears OK; however there is a warning message:

Message ID . . . . . . : CPDB610 Severity . . . . . . . : 20
Message type . . . . . : Information
Date sent . . . . . . : 05/25/16 Time sent . . . . . . : 23:34:33

Message . . . . : File CCSID incorrect.
Cause . . . . . : The file CCSID was 00819, but the data in the file looks
like EBCDIC. A CCSID of 00500 is being used.
Recovery . . . : If another CCSID is needed, use F13 to change to the
desired CCSID.

Now to the issue: I would like to look at the file with a regular XML editor, perhaps even with RDi. What RDI shows, with every editor, is bad data. -

- I renamed the file with an .xml extension. Still bad results

- I renamed the file with a .txt extension. Still bad results.

- I changed the code page to 00500. Still bad results.

- In 5250, 3=Copy, F4, changed the code page parameter to 00500. The new copied-to file is Lookin' Good!

So, it seems that WRKLNK handles the IFS differently than RDi (and every text editor I tried).
It is looking like there are two places where a file holds its CCSID, and there is no assurance they are identical. Is there a way I can get both ccsids programmatically?