Gad,

You said:
The Exit program is indeed called (judging by the relevent QZRCSRVS job's
joblog)
But it fails to replace the original CMD
(CRTBNDRPG/CRTRPGMOD) with the special CMD that fires the CPP to execute
the "pre-compiler" .

Are you saying that your exit program is intended to REPLACE the command
string being executed with another? You'll never be able to do that, since
(as Michael pointed out) the RDi server-side program runs in the *SYSTEM
state and IBM will not allow you to alter the command string in that case.
The exit program will run, but you will NEVER be able to replace the
command string on output. You should probably be executing your
pre-compiler from within the exit program, then letting the command "just
happen". Do you need to generate temporary source members and all that,
then create your objects, or is it just library list manipulations? It
matters. Library list manipulations you can do in-line, no biggee, but
switching source members on the fly wil require altering the command string
(which you cannot do).

Stu