For saving the toolbar, it works for me when do a 'Save Perspective As...'
I usually name it the same as whatever the perspective I started was and
replace the existing perspective.

For changing the debug perspective, that's a little more involved. I've
done it before, but more recently I just customize the default and 'Save
Perspective As...' If I recall correctly:
- Under preferences, expand Run/Debug.
- Select Perspectives.
- Select the Application Type from the list on the right
(I don't remember which one a SEP uses).
--- Select your custom debug perspective under Modes/Perspectives
to further to the right.
-- I believe you need to expand the Application Type on the list and
select the Launcher and associate the Perspective for it as well.
- Lather, rinse, repeat for each Application type.

If I understand correctly, there's always the possibility things may not
save correctly if anything's gotten corrupted. I've had lots of fun trying
to update Compile Commands only to have my changes go unsaved because the
xml file where they're stored has some corruption in it.

Like Matt, I've resorted to using the default perspectives and customizing
them. (Version 9.1 seems to be doing a better job of retaining my
customization.).

Michael