I, too, have seen some odd behavior from 'Customize Perspective...' albeit
in the Tool Bar Visibility tab. I've unchecked several groups and some
individual items. They disappeared from my perspective as expected.
However if I go back into 'Customize Perspective...', they all show up as
tho I never unchecked them. They still don't actually appear in the
perspective, but it's challenging and makes it confusing to add or delete
icons.