-- We have an issue with some modules that will not compile over the
service program. Any ideas why this would be happening?

It sounds like you are creating a module for a service program that is
also attempting to reference another procedure in the same service
program.

Or you are creating a service program intended for a global binding
directory and your new service program needs to use another service
program out of the same binding directory.

When you create a module intended to be used in a service program, that
module should not be compiled with a binding directory that contains
itself or the service program it will be put into. If you do this you
will get circular references and duplicate symbol errors.

If you need another service program in your new service program you can:
1. Specify the specific service programs needed using the BNDSRVPGM
option of the CRTSRVPGM command.
CRTSRVPGM SRVPGM(REFSP1) MODULE(REFMOD1 REFMOD2) BNDSRVPGM(REFSP2
REFSP3)

2. Create a binding directory that omits the new service program, but
includes all the other service programs the new service program needs.
Then use that binding directory to create the modules and or service
program.

If you need to use a procedure that is out of a module inside the same
service program, all you need to do is prototype the procedure in the
calling module. When you bind the modules together into the service
program the calling module will be able to see the procedures from the
other modules.

Chris Hiebert
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.