MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Here's my understanding. It may not be entirely accurate. This is based on all my efforts to upgrade our old V6-based entitlements of RBDe (Rational Business Developer Extension) to RDi-SOA. (I worked with Todd Britton, IBM Rational Director of Products & Strategy, Enterprise Tools & Compilers and George Farr--we all know and love Mr. Farr.) If you have RDi, you can buy RBD and effectively have RDi-SOA--if I understand the packaging correctly, that's what they'll ship to you for RDi-SOA: RDi and RBD. The only rub is that RBD is a $3000 package. We could have maintained our RBDe entitlements by paying the annual support and maintenance of $600 per year each. However, I think management would have us convert everything to MS before we would pay that much to support a product which IBM is marketing as new. Don't get me wrong, I loved working in EGL and I'm aware that its roots go back years-and-years. But $600 x developer x years gets awfully expensive when you've got to pay the annual SWMA on RDi as well.

IBM marketing is often more than a little perplexing.

You're still better off getting RDi-SOA, even if you buy full licenses, at least from a SWMA standpoint. Think about it: you get RDi plus RBD, so essentially the RBD piece is $1200 or $240 a year in SWMA. Although I don't understand the phrase "before we would pay that much to support a product which IBM is marketing as new".

While I agree that $600 a seat for maintenance is pretty high, you wouldn't pay anywhere near that much if you just got RDi-SOA. Next, why does the "new" or "not new" status of the tool matter to the price? Seriously, I'm having a senior moment here (I gave sessions essentially non-stop for four days and evidently not enough brain cells are functioning to follow the reasoning).

Joe