It is blazingly fast. I have a demo where I do this to fill a list. It's an Ajax page, where the left side is a list of commuter train lines, and the right is a list of stops for the selected line. You hit a button to go to the next line and reload the stations. The newest version even shows a map of the route.

I added an accelerator key to the next button, and when I hold down the accelerator key it redisplay the screen (hold your hats now) 12 times a SECOND. Since the station list averages about 20 records, I figure I'm doing well over 200 calls a second without breaking a sweat. And that's including the overhead of AJAX (which has to use JavaScript to request a refresh, get back the data, go into the currently displayed page, and replace part of it with the data received).

It ain't 5250, but it's faster than anything out there. You don't have to worry about size limits, such as creating a list that is as large as the largest request you can make. And I may be wrong, but if you create your array as, say, 99 elements, then I think it passes all 99 every time; that will probably be slower for shorter lists. But me, I prefer the control of call at a time; the ability to leave *INLR off is key to what makes it work so fast.

Joe

Joe,

For point 1, you are suggesting calling an RPG program say 20 times to get
20 records. Is that faster then passing a data structure of say 20 records?