I have not tried any of these - have seen hints of what you say about
DW8. The hard-core developers tend to eschew the use of any editors -
as does my oh-so-young colleague. He says just write the stuff, then
test it in a browser, then make changes. He's trying UltraEdit - I'm
using TextPad mostly - works well for me so far. The only thing I'd
like more is auto-complete - UltraEdit might have it. Esp. for ASP.

Lol, I used to be a hard-core notepad guy. When people told me they used
Dreamweaver or other tools I laughed at them and told 'em hand-coding was
the only way to go. Then my wife took a DW8 course at school about 6
months ago and within the first two weeks she had a site up in less time
than I could have hand-coded it. So I grabbed her books, loaded it up,
and gave it a test run. Not too shabby. Unfortunately, since I am a
hand-coder, I mostly don't use any of its wysiwyg features, I just go to
code view and start typing, but it's still better than notepad in that it
keeps all your source organized, it has a built-in ftp that works
beautifully and will keep your source synched with the remote site, has
some good help features, etc. It's kinda like the difference between SEU
and WDSc, you can hand-code in SEU and switch between sessions to have
multiple sources available, etc, or you can code in WDSc with its ability
to have multiple source opened as well as it's helpful functionality like
outlines.

You input is helpful here - my colleague says he test his stuff on IE
6 and up, and Firefox and Opera and something else - forgot what he
said today. Using the IE Tab addon for Firefox lets me see what
things look like in that - not sure which version it is. But you
don't see anything in FireBug when you use that - sigh!

Yeah, I do IE6, Firefox, and Netscape. I should add Opera to the mix as
well. As to which to code for first, I think it's just a matter of
preference. For me I find if I do IE first, then the Mozilla browsers
fall into place easily, and if I go the other way then I have to jump
through hoops for Microsoft. Might as well get the hoop-jumping out of
the way in the beginning. =)

Have fun Vern, and let us know how it goes. =)