Hi Heinz,

I must assume that since this does not seem to be a common problem that it
is something related to your environment. Is it only particular users
that experience this problem or pretty much everyone using a particular
application? What I would look for is IE addons (toolbars, etc) that
are trying to be helpful and that sort of thing. I have even seen
problems where an AV/firewall type of app was manipulating the data from
the browser and causing errors. Also I would carefully check any
modifications made to the webapp including the pagebuilder.jsp and
friends. The fact that the window just disapears possibly indicates that
some javascript is calling window.close(). I say this because I feel that
if there were an application error in explorer.exe or a javascirpt error
then a message would have been displayed. It may be an advantage to crank
up IE's display of script errors and security to require the user to "ok"
things like window closing to help narrow this down.

Mike

Mike Hockings, P.Eng.
System i Application Development Tools - CODE/Designer & WebFacing !
IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory
hockings@xxxxxxxxxx
voice 905 413 3199

<Heinz.Sporn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
09/28/2007 01:47 AM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

<wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] WebFacing and dying IE sessions

Hi Mike!

The local sessions vanishes as in "disappearing without a trail". The
application server still thinks everything is fine and so does the
iSeries. That means that on the iSeries all QQFxxx jobs for that user are
still running.

As one poster assumed - no it is not a timing issue. We covered that very
carfully. iSeries has a 3 hours session limit, WAS 2 hours and on the
client side we use a scripted timer that takes care of local session
inactivity. Even if it was a timing issue we would at least get an WAS
Application Error. That is not the case. And as I mentioned in my original
post sometimes people work only 5 minutes or less before the described
problem happened.

Even if a user accidently closed the entire IE window the regarding
iSeries sessions would be terminated almost immediately.

As I said all WebFacing Apps are launched through an internal web portal.
That portal is the parent window for a subsequent WebFacing app. If
everything works fine and a user exits that application regularily he/she
will land back at the portal.

When the session abnormally ends (vanishes) you find yourself back at the
portal. You don't see any scripting errors or WAS Application Errors. If
you press "back" in IE you'll return back to
http://<whatever>//webfacing/WebFacing.do and straight into an Application
Error.

To me it looks as if IE gets a problem interpreting a page and just
terminates that child session abnormally. That means we're not getting a
window.close event and the QQFxx job becomes a zombie.

Again ...

Does anyone have an idea how to trace or better prevent this issue?

Kind regards and many thanks in advance

Mit freundlichen Grüßen