message: 2
date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:26:03 -0700
from: "Alan Campin" <Alan.Campin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: [WDSCI-L] V7 SQL Issue (Bill Barnes)

If we are talking the same problem here (You get an error on every free
form SQL statement in WDSC V6 or V7, IBM indicated to me that the
problem would not get fixed until I had V5R4 installed.

We have been on V5R4 since before we decided to move to RSE. It is an
RSE bug that was reported in April of 2006. The party line is that the
problem could not be reproduced in a future version. The rub is that
they didn't say how far in the future. Bottom line is that it is an
embedded SQL problem in RPG and is not high on the list of things to do.
It is becoming quite clear that IBM will methodically squeeze the very
people who made the iSeries a powerhouse until we have all -- a. retired
or b. moved to WEBSphere.

message: 6
date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:24:12 -0400
from: "Jon Paris" <Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] V7 Problems

In V6 I could choose where I wanted my fast view to dock. It either
is
no longer an option or the way to choose it was changed.

It was changed. And it is totally non-intuitive - I have to assume that
this was an Eclipse change - it makes no obvious sense at all.

What you do now is move the cursor towards the corner nearest the quick
view
icons and click when the cursor becomes a four pointed "thingy". Then
you'll find the docking option.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com

Thanks Jon. I'll stay on V6 for a while longer. I have a tendency
towards resenting changing something just because I can. V7 has done
much of that. Other than the decreased time it took to come up I didn't
see any advantage. If we were a larger shop and had some folks who
really understood the peculiarities of RSE it would be different, but
here I am the expert by just having struggled with it longer than anyone
else. It took me about 3 months to become reasonably comfortable with
RSE and was not as productive as I should have been. Productivity
increased marginally but not enough (yet) to have justified the 3 months
of wandering around in the mud. I do appreciate all the suggestions and
help all of you have offered. I know I have annoyed some because of my
blunt ways. If all goes according to my plan I will be out of here in
about 3 years and it won't be my problem or concern any more. In this
shop the iSeries is a very lame duck and is holding on only because the
flagship application is an RPG app and no one has figured out how to
move it successfully to a .NET platform yet. The AS400/iSeries/i5 will
become like the Dodo bird here.
Bill