I am not familiar with the technology but it looks like the base RCP container creates the controls on the fly as well. There is a base application that starts up and my assumption is that all the controls are represented in that base container. As the 5250 data is parsed in the container, it creates and places the objects on the form. Probably a tougher job with a fat client but since the local PC is doing the heavy lifting, the response time is fairly fast.

I haven't developed much using Swing or SWT but the drawing and the instantiation of the controls in the frame based on 5250 data wouldn't be all that different than HTML. Since it is handled by the base RCP client on the PC it can be fast. But, I haven't really explored the internals and haven't written many Java apps using Swing or SWT.

Pete Helgren

Justin Taylor wrote:
Re: RCP & HATS

How exactly does that work? I know that the http version of HATS
converts the 5250 screens to a web page on the fly but how does the RCP
version work?