From: DeLong, Eric

Not true......

EGL is currently part of the base WDSCi package.  I have done several test
EGL projects and tutorials, and did not need anything beside what was
installed from the DVD.  I believe that I've heard that IBM might remove
base EGL from WDSCi Standard, but it hasn't happened yet....

IBM Is definitely going to remove EGL from WDSC (they call it "unbundling",
and it's potentially a colossal blunder on the EGL team's part, but what can
you do).  This has to do with the fact that evidently people who buy
Rational tooling don't want to pay for EGL (or Portal) and so they have
decided to unbundled those components.  I assume this will make the Rational
tooling cheaper.  I don't know and I don't care, because I already get the
tool as part of the premium I pay for the iSeries and its development suite
(5722WDS).  All I do know is that suddenly EGL is no longer part of WDSC,
which is going to make it a very hard sell into iSeries shops.  I can see it
now: "You want me to pay even more for a code generator that doesn't even
generate RPG?"  Yeah, that's going to go over well.

I've repeatedly voiced the opinion that if it's just a matter of sucking
some money out of the i5/OS license that they should include X number of
licenses in the price of 5722WDS (with X being a number based on processor
tier; you don't need 150 developer licenses for a P05).  This way the tool
is in the shop WITHOUT having to spend more money.  iSeries companies are
very conscious of getting nickeled and dimed; they already paid for their
development tools, why should they have to pay more?

Joe