Thanks, Violaine.  This seems to work (tried the scenario once.)

Is there a way to preserve the perspective settings also?  I have it
customized and saved under it's own name.  Copying the folder sure makes it
easy!

Here's the text from the log:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 4 4 May 08, 2006 14:16:03.51
!MESSAGE Exception occurred while saving project preferences:
/RemoteSystemsTempFiles/.settings/org.eclipse.core.resources.prefs.
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException: Resource is out of
sync with the file system:
/RemoteSystemsTempFiles/.settings/org.eclipse.core.resources.prefs.
      at
org.eclipse.core.internal.localstore.FileSystemResourceManager.write(Unknown
 Source)
      at
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.File.internalSetContents(Unknown
Source)
      at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.File.setContents(Unknown
Source)
      at
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ProjectPreferences.save(Unknown Source)
      at
org.eclipse.core.internal.preferences.EclipsePreferences.flush(Unknown
Source)
      at
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ProjectPreferences.flush(Unknown
Source)
      at
org.eclipse.core.internal.preferences.EclipsePreferences.flush(Unknown
Source)
      at
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ProjectPreferences.flush(Unknown
Source)
      at
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.CharsetManager$CharsetManagerJob.run(Unknown
 Source)
      at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Unknown Source)
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.resources 4 274 May 08, 2006 14:16:03.101
!MESSAGE Resource is out of sync with the file system:
/RemoteSystemsTempFiles/.settings/org.eclipse.core.resources.prefs.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 4 382 May 08, 2006 14:16:03.131
!MESSAGE Problems encountered while updating encoding settings.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.resources 4 382 May 08, 2006 14:16:03.131
!MESSAGE Could not save encoding settings.
!STACK 0
org.osgi.service.prefs.BackingStoreException: Exception occurred while
[...]

Phil