Hi Duane,

Well, you've hit the limitation of the iSeries interactive debugger that is
part of WDSc.
It does not really handle JNI calls at this point.

However, you can use a Distributed Debugger, which is also part of the WDSc
product.
It is not integrated into the WDSc workbench and you would have to start it
from the
product folder. You will also need to issue STRDBGSVR command on your
iSeries.
Distributed Debugger does handle JNI calls between RPG and Java.

Hope this helps,
Vadim

             "Christen, Duane
             J."
             <dchristen@mcleod                                          To
             usa.com>                  "'Websphere Development Studio
             Sent by:                  Client for iSeries'"
             wdsci-l-bounces@m         <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             idrange.com                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             10/27/2004 10:10          [WDSCI-L] Debuging RPG IV/Java
             AM                        interface on the iSeries

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

I have a process in which an RPG program calls a Java method (several in
fact) and I want to debug the process to determine what is causing an error
in the Java method to be thrown. The Java methods are part of a soap
client,
and I need to determine if it is a problem with the client or server.
I am using WDSC 5.1.2.2 connected to a V5R2M0 iSeries.
I have no problems debuging the RPG programs and functions but whenever
Java
method is "called" the break points I have set in the Java method are not
hit. So thinking I had done something wrong I just stepped into the Java
method call, which after several hundred clicks on step-into these two
classes had been "run"

*CLASS /QIBM/ProdData/OS400/Java400/jdk/lib/java/beans/Introspector.class
*CLASS /QIBM/ProdData/OS400/Java400/jdk/lib/java/lang/ClassLoader.class

but the class that the method is in was never stepped into,

*CLASS
/soa/LocalTransactionAdapter_pkg/LocalTransactionAdapterSoapBindingStub.clas

and the debug finally returned to the RPG function, reporting that it had
completed the Java method successfully...

Does anyone have any idea what I am missing?

Duane Christen

NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential
information and is intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, copying
or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender via e-mail.