Hi Phil,

>>Is this simply the way it works?

Yes, this is the way it was designed.  There were many pros and cons to
this design decision but the main one was to minimize startup time of the
workbench by avoiding having to reconnect the RSE connection.  The member
does not get re-locked until the file is modified and saved (at which point
you should get a conflict dialog if the remote member was also modified
while not locked.)

>>Is there a preference that can be set which will cause it to attempt to
open the member from the iSeries when WDSC starts?

The only preference that exists right now is to have all your editors
closed when the workbench closes (under Workbench > Editors in the
preference dialog) but then when you restart they will not reopen, but you
won't run this risks you outlined below.)  We can look at the possibility
of having an iSeries specific preference that re-locks the remote member
when the workbench is restarted.

Thanks.

Don Yantzi
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx

             phillip.groschwit
             z@xxxxxxxxx
             wdsci-l-bounces@m         wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             idrange.com                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             09/09/2004 08:42          [WDSCI-L] member lock question
             AM

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

I'm using WDSC more and more, and just noticed this:  If I leave source
members open when I exit wdsc, they reopen when I restart wdsc (great!
makes it easy to remember what I was working on the day before.)  However,
what is opened is not actually what's on the iSeries disk and I don't know
that until I save - if it's different I get a dialog box.  Also, if a
source member has a lock on it already, I don't know that either until I
try to save.

Obviously I'm worried about losing changes.  So my question are:

Is this simply the way it works?

Is there a preference that can be set which will cause it to attempt to
open the member from the iSeries when WDSC starts?

Is there a strategy that I'm not seeing where this is actually an
advantage?

Thanks for the input!

Phil